Crazy Sexy Bean Chili
Recipe by Kris Carr
1-1/2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, finely diced (for less heat, remove seeds and/or use half the pepper)
2 tablespoons chili powder
1-1/2 cups ground seitan (alternatives: crumbled tempeh or finely diced mushrooms)
1 zucchini, diced
½ cup diced potato (any kind)
Two, 15 oz cans of black beans, rinsed
One, 15 oz can of kidney beans
One, 14 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tsp sea salt
½ bunch fresh cilantro
1 cup kale, chopped
Diced avocado (optional)
Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry soup pot on medium heat, for 2 minutes until you smell the robust aroma. (This process releases the full flavor of the spice)
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic and jalapeno. Stir consistently until the onion is golden and translucent.
- Add in the chili powder, seitan (tempeh or mushrooms), zucchini, and potato and stir well. Saute for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking.
- Add in black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, water, maple syrup, sea salt and cilantro. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and allow to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the kale.
- Serve hot. Garnish with diced avocado and a handful of cilantro, if using.