My son loves soft pretzels, and it’s his favorite reason for going to the mall. He was excited that we could make them at home! These pretzel bites were very easy to make and were a huge hit!
Vegan Pretzel Bites with Spicy Mustard dip
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, soy. Can be made corn-free with a different starch like arrowroot.
Recipe from Veganricha.com
For the Pretzels:
1 cup warm water
1 Tbsp coconut sugar or other sugar
1 Tbsp active yeast
3 Tbsp oil or melted vegan butter
3 cups unbleached white flour or all purpose flour + more for dusting
1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp coarse sea salt or kosher salt for sprinkling
For the baking soda wash:
1/2 cup boiling water
1 tbsp baking soda
For the cornstarch (vegan egg) wash:
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch
For the Spicy mustard dip:
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
1/4 cup or more almond milk
1 to 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 to 3 tsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
salt and pepper if needed
herbs like dill or ranch seasoning mix for variation
1. In a bowl, combine 1 cup warm water, yeast and sugar, Mix and let sit until frothy. 5 minutes.
2. In another bowl, combine, flour and 3/4 tsp salt. Mix well. Add the flour, melted butter and yeast mixture to a stand mixture and knead into a soft smooth dough. Or add the yeast mixture to the flour. Add the melted butter and knead for 4 to 6 minutes to make a smooth dough.
3. Spray water on the dough. Cover with a towel and let it rise for an hour or until doubled.
4. Flatten the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Cut up strips using a pizza cutter (thinner, about 1/2 inch thick, for smaller pretzels). Roll the strips between your hands if they are uneven. Cut the strips into inch bites or any size and shape. Place the bites on parchment lined baking sheet, at least a half inch away from each other.
5. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Make the baking soda wash: Add baking soda to boiling 1/2 cup of water. mix and keep aside.
6. Brush the pretzels liberally with warm baking soda wash. Let them sit for 2 minutes. Then slice the tops using knife or kitchen scissors(optional). Meanwhile Make the cornstarch wash: Mix the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water, heat the water over medium heat until it thickens into a sludge. Brush the pretzels with the warm cornstarch wash. Sprinkle granulated salt on the pretzels.
7. Bake for 13 to 14 minutes or until a nice golden brown color. Serve with your favorite dip
8. Make the Spicy Mustard dip: Blend the cashews with almond milk until smooth. Add more almond milk if needed to make preferred consistency. Add the Dijon mustard, hot sauce and nutritional yeast. Blend, taste and adjust heat and sauces. Serve! We also loved eating these dipped in plain mustard.
The best popcorn ever!
Recipe by Luke
½ cup organic popcorn seeds
2 tbsp vegan butter melted
1 tbsp nutritional yeast*
* Yellow in color with a nutty cheesy flavor, nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast that has a nutty cheesy flavor and similarity to cheese when added to foods. Nutritional yeast is also a reliable food source of vitamin B12.
1. Air pop the popcorn. Add to large bowl.
2. Melt butter and pour over popcorn.
3. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and salt.
Try to eat only one piece at a time! (My son's favorite rule!)