out cookies, and was excited to get out our Halloween cookie cutters this year. The minute he woke up (early) one morning he wanted to bake some Halloween cut out cookies. I realized though that we didn’t have all of the ingredients and it’s not easy to tell a 4 year old (especially one that has been asking for a few weeks to make them) that we have to wait until later. I didn’t feel like running to the store and didn’t want to bother a neighbor to borrow ingredients either. I searched on line for some Vegan recipes so I could find some healthy substitutes for butter and eggs, the two major items that I was missing. I found this awesome Vegan Sugar Cookie recipe. I made some other adjustments to the receipe as well.
I was worried about how they would turn out, but they were delicious and it will now be our regular recipe when making our holiday cut outs!
Vegan Sugar Cookie Cut Outs, Original recipe from Food.com
2 cups sifted flour (I used whole wheat flour)
3/4 cups sugar ( I used brown sugar)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla
Dash of Cinnamon
1. In medium sized bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon, set aside
2. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce, oil and vanilla
3. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer
4. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour
5. Remove dough from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut out shapes with cookie cutters (This is my son's favorite part. Don't worry about the mess and flour getting all over the place!)
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes
Cool cookies completely on racks before frosting.
Basic Cookie Frosting, by Lisa C.
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 tbsp soy milk
Mix all together until smooth and blendable
Frost cookies and decorate with candy sprinkles, if desired
Make It Healthy and Make It Fun!