Peanut Butter Cranberry Granola Bars, based on recipe from Sunset Magazine, October 2008.
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup oat bran
3 Tbsp Flax Seeds
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup each chopped peanuts, dried cranberries and finely chopped Mission figs
½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
¾ cup chunky or regular peanut butter
¼ cup milk (I use soy or almond milk)
1 large egg
½ cup honey or agave nectar
Finely shredded zest from 1 lemon
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Line a 9x13 inch pan with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang on the 9 in. sides, and coat with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together oats, oat bran, flax seeds, flour, baking powder, salt, peanuts, cranberries and figs until well blended.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together peanut butter, milk, egg, honey, lemon zest and lemon juice until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture to peanut butter mixture and beat until completely blended. Scrape dough into pan and, with wet fingers or a rubber spatula, pat to fill pan completely and evenly (dough is sticky). Chill dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat over to 300 degrees. After dough is chilled, invert pan onto a work surface, lift off pan and peel off plastic. Cut straight down lengthwise through middle then crosswise to make 16 bars, about 1-1/2 inch wide. Place bars about 1 inch apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake bars until lightly browned and somewhat firm to the touch, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.